Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Heather's 4th week in Vegas!!!

Well you both will freak if I tell you this but I think its pretty hilarious and anyways what kind of fun would it be if you didn't get hurt. :) We went hiking today at Red Rock it was the best time I have ever had on a P-day so far. But the view was amazing and the quietness was the best thing we could ask for. We went as a zone so there were about 8 other elders there I think, we got member rides which was so nice don't remember their names. But one guy brought his super nice camera and took pictures for us I think he is going to make copies and send them out. Awesome! On our way back I was coming through this tunnel of tree branches and one of these stupid trees decided to grab my shorts and the hard headed Clevenger that I am decided to pull forward instead of step back and unloosen it with my hand. So I fell down on some nice looking rocks that scraped my shin and knee all up. Pretty great if you ask me, I think its one of my best battle wounds yet, besides the dog bite but that doesn't count it wasn't self inflicted. But don't worry I took pictures for you :) I am going to try to get pictures printed next week and send them to you. Vegas reminds me so much of California it is great, oh and going to the strip here is something you dont do if you are a local. I am learning so much it is great.
 
We got a new investigator yesterday. A girl from the Singles ward brought her friend (Benjamin) to church and in Preisthood he introduced himself and said that he will be joining the church. Pretty great. But I have seen many blessings come from tracting I am hoping my trainer can see to make it more of a priority to track. Though I dont like it I still will do it because we are told to do so and blessings come from it. I dont know much about the Heather Clevenger but I told them that it would be awesome to meet with her and the other clevengers to see if we are related. Oh yes that is great you got an email from Sister Schlauder they are an amazing family, her husband is actually the Stake President for our area. They are super nice and we had dinner with them last night(Sister Schlauder sent me an email with a picture of Heather and her 2 companions and Sister Schlauder's grandkids!! It was pretty awesome to receive that! And I will post the picture she sent on here!) Oh so we went to Canyon Gate the other day to visit this one family, you have to have permission to go in, they are super strict. But we got in through another member I dont think she knew we sort of used her but we shared a spiritual message with her. But anyways those houses were MASSIVE! They were like that one house in California on Grangville off on the left going to the base, BIG! I did get pictures of some random houses for you all to see, I will try to get pictures of some of the members homes. I have wrote down a couple of people I need to write back to so i am going to try to do that this week when I find time. But I got the letter I sent to Bishop Webb, they returned it to me so I was thinking about just sending it home so you can give it to Bishop for me.
 
We were in the store today and I almost bought an Easter Lily, but I didn't I have to save so I can afford a hair cut. It will be interesting how its all going to work out with money but it will be okay. I got the 2 packages on Friday THANK YOU! They get here so fast when you don't have to send them to the mission office, I love it. and I did get your letter as well a day or two before hand thank you. But I really enjoyed the piano books, I was able to play on Saturday and Sunday but not as long as I would have liked to. I really need to play for like 30 mins to an hour. My companions really liked the gifts, we took pictures for you, so hopefully Sister Sprouse will send them to you.
 
Things are going good here. We didnt meet our lesson goal last week but its okay the Lord tests us to see if he can really trust us and help us have more faith in him. But we were blessed with wonderful opportunities and moments last week. It has been a true blessing, though there were hard times. Satan does tempt you a lot while being on a mission, there are so many mind games I have played its hard. But they have been a source of help to strengthen me. There was a moment that a thought came in to question if what I really felt was the Spirit, it was one of the most scariest thoughts I have ever had. But I remember that those feelings are real and nothing can counterfeit them, not even Satan can give us those feelings that come from our Heavenly Father. Thank you so much for your testimonies they made me cry it was great. I am still not good with just talking to random people but hopefully my mission will help me to overcome it. One night we had an appointment get canceled so we didn't know what we were going to do. But we made some visits, and we went to Sister Taylor's house to see about their neighbors that they referred us to meet them. While we were there Sister Jacobson from our ward stopped by and we asked them before we left if there was anyone they could think of for us to visit. Sister Jacobson told us of this lady she visit teaches, she is less active so we went over there. She was there and we were able to get in after I said Sister Jacobson told us to come see her. We spent almost 2 hours with her, it was crazy. But she really needs help, she is so confused and lost. Some of her friends told her that she shouldn't be going to a church where they read outside the bible, meaning she should only go to a church where they only read from the bible and that's pretty crazy. This lady has been to the temple and every thing it is sad to see her fall away so far, she had a testimony and believes its true but she stopped reading the Book of Mormon. But we told her that she needs to get a testimony again and she needs to start reading the Book of Mormon it will help and the Atonement is here to help us we must use it and rely on it. We all fall short of the glory of God and need a savior. But the spirit was so strong in her home that night. She lost her husband a year ago and a month, to the exact date we were there. When I saw the tattoo on her arm of the date her husband died I almost started crying because I knew in that instant that only God could work that miracle in placing us in her house one month to the exact date (one year later) from the passing of her husband. God works in mysterious ways but when they come together they are the most glorious things to behold.
 
We are going to the temple May 18 I was thinking the 17 but its the 18 so I am super excited about that. It has been too long since going to the temple I don't like waiting this long to attend. But I am torn in a way with this next transfer. I really want to see Waymond and our other investigators get baptized, it would be so amazing. But I know it is what ever God sees fit. I was thinking that it would be cool to stay here next transfer and then the following transfer get moved to Fallon but that probably won't happen. So Waymond one of our investigators he lives kitty corner (sp?) from the Andrews, he said his first vocal prayer last week. He says he won't pray for himself but he will pray for other people and give thanks so he gave thanks for us in the prayer. It was amazing we asked him how he felt and he said wierd but good, and then he started crying. It was so cool, and he has been reading the chapters we have been asking him to read. He is progressing a lot but has a long way to go before he can get baptized, so tomorrow night we are going to teach him about the plan of salvation. I am going to have so many stories to tell you both when i see you.
 
So this past Friday we had a lesson with Debbie the one who came into the church on general conference wanting to get baptized. She has come so far since that time she has been so blessed, she has a family within the ward now it is great to see, and she is possibly getting a job soon. But we went over there and had Bro Decker come with. It was hard at first the lesson was all over the place she had so many questions and Bro Decker just wanted to answer them all and he was talking quite a bit, but he tried to get it refocused a few times by directing it back to us. But boy I thought we were never going to get through the first lesson with her that night. But thankfully we did, and it was so amazing. It was funny when I was doing the first vision after I quoted Joseph Smith she said well he really didnt see God and Jesus Christ because no one can in the flesh. I seriously had the biggest smile on my face when she was saying this. I was thinking oh you have no idea just wait and listen. After that I bore my testimony it was the best thing, the Spirit was so strong it took over me, he directed me on what to say and I knew that there was no way she could deny it. It was the greatest moment that night. She already has a testimony of the Book of Mormon and of Joseph Smith. She said when she was reading it she thought she had heartburn so she went to take some tums but it didnt help. We told her that was the Holy Ghost bearing witness of the truth of the book and what we have been saying, she literally started crying. It was one of those moments where I felt the happiness of Heavenly Father and got to witness someone gain a testimony to come to that realization of this gospel, it was the best thing ever. Those goals that I wrote before I left have just been blown away, I know that I will get to see all of them on my mission and maybe have one fulfilled after but when I looked at them they seemed pretty weak in a sense because all that I have experienced has gone beyond those goals and beyond my expectations. Struggles will come and I know they will, a mission is hard work and talking to people about the gospel is hard because of rejection but those moments like Debbies and Waymonds make up for all the rejection we recieve, it makes it worth doing what it is I am doing. I am so grateful to be able to help others come unto Christ and recieve so many blessings, and ultimately return back to the presence of our Heavenly Father.
 
I am so happy to hear about Cheyenne it will be the best day of her life, tell her and make sure she records that day, what happened but especially how she felt because those moments and those feelings will help her so much when things come into her life and make her struggle. I think sometimes we make things harder than they really are, we lose focus and forget the most important things in life. But that is why I love the atonement so much, with it every burden we have will be lifted. Christ wants to take our burdens from off of our shoulders we just have to be willing to allow him to do so, to go to him and ask him to take them. I am learning that I have to pray every night for Heavenly Father to take my burdens from me. I love you both so much and miss you bunches, of oats.
Love Heather Baby Little One
PS This transfer has flown by so fast this time is going to end so quickly I can feel it. But it will be worth it I can see myself change in so many ways already. Its great. Keep up the work with sharing the gospel Heavenly Father will bless you when you open your mouth to share his word D&C 84:88 (scripture that sums up the mission so far)

No comments:

Post a Comment